Thursday, July 14, 2011

Heading south in the morning...

Hi everyone,

I am pleased to tell you that Levi continues to get better. Caylee and I video-chatted with Steph and Levi last night on Skype, and he was reaching for us through the computer and was playing with Steph. He was supporting himself very well on Steph's lap, and seemed to really enjoy talking to his big sister. It was great to see him so alert and active. I talked to Steph a little while ago, and she said he is wanting to be held again and was waving and smiling at his reflection in the window. She snapped a couple of pictures of him sitting up in bed, and he even ate most of a cookie and some goldfish (the cracker-kind, for those of you without kids...). He finally realized he can take the oxygen sensor (which glows red) off his toe and play with it, so I am sure the nurses are loving that. These are all very encouraging signs, and it is great to see him feeling better.

The chemo is working right on schedule - his white blood cell counts and ANC (immune system level) have bottomed out, which was expected. He received a platelet transfusion yesterday to keep that count up. This means we are nearing the end of the first round of chemo (which will be done on Saturday), but it also means that we have to be extremely careful about preventing him from catching any bugs or sicknesses. Part of this prevention is limiting visitors. So, just be warned that if you stop by the hospital, you may not be able to see him (don't take it personal!).

Steph has had several Indy-area CMA members stop by to visit and pray with her (thanks guys!). She and Levi are also enjoying the cards and encouragement you are sending. Kind words go along way when you're cooped up in a hospital room. She is excited to take a couple of days off this weekend to go flower and dress shopping with my little sister and the rest of her bridesmaids to prepare for her wedding later this year. I will be taking the hospital shift for most of the weekend - Caylee and I are headed down in the morning and Steph will take Caylee on down to my parents' house. This will be the first time I have been in the hospital by myself with Bub, so hopefully it goes well and the nurses don't get too fed up with my barrage of questions and sarcasm... I am not sure what we will do - I think Levi needs some quality guy time though, so I may take down some hunting videos and Harley catalogs for him to enjoy.

Caylee and I are still hanging in there; we went to the fair last night and ate dinner. The original plan included a walk through the animal barns, but she stopped me at the entrance to each animal barn and wouldn't let me go in because they were too stinky. So, that shortened our fair visit tremendously (I am not much for fair rides). Instead, we got some ice cream and played in the park for awhile. Tonight we headed up to the lake with the Bennetts to grill out, swim, and go for a boat ride. We had a good time, but sure missed Steph and Levi. I can't wait until we're all back together as a family again. One of our doctors keeps mentioning that maybe Levi will get to come home in between the 1st and 2nd rounds of chemo, but the other doctor and the nurses are saying that rarely happens, so we are being "cautiously optimistic" and hoping that it comes true.

Thank you all for your continued prayers and support. I will try to give you all another update tomorrow night to let you know how Levi and I are doing during our guy time.

We love you all.
Michael, Stephanie, Caylee, and little Levi

No comments:

Post a Comment