Friday, July 22, 2011

In awe...


Hi everyone,

Tomorrow morning will be one week since Levi completed his first round of chemo! His counts are still down (which is expected), so we’re still limited on visitors actually being able to come into his room. However, he is doing very well. He is eating more – Steph was able to get him to eat waffle fries and macaroni and cheese the other night, and I know he has been enjoying the oatmeal cream pies that his Grandma Linda brought him. It is such a huge step for him to be eating better, this means that we can start weaning him off of his TPN (IV nutrition).

Steph has had him on the floor quite a bit playing on a play mat with toys from the toy room. I think she has gone through her fair share of Clorox wipes cleaning and re-cleaning the toys that Levi tosses around the room. He is sitting up very well by himself, and I was actually able to hear him talking while on the phone with Steph. That may sound like a small thing, but that’s the first time I have heard him really talk in probably 5 weeks. Caylee and I are headed down there this afternoon after I get off work. I can’t wait to see him and Steph. I think Steph and I may have a little in-room hospital date night again this weekend, although it will be hard to beat the carry out B-Dubs and Netflix movie from last weekend... ;)

These little improvements he makes daily refresh our hope and encourage us tremendously. He can beat this thing; I firmly believe that with all my heart. He is a tough little guy, and he's surrounded by an incredible and loving support network of family and friends.

There’s a worship song that many of you probably know that states, as its title and main line, “I stand in awe of You.” That phrase really does depict how I feel about God right now. I am standing in awe of the way He is walking through this journey so closely to my family. His footsteps are clearly visible in the actions we are seeing daily from you, our family and friends.

There’s a verse in John that reads:

John 13:35 – “By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.”


Your love is taking many shapes; it is evident in the meals you have brought to Stephanie and to me (which takes a strain off of both of us!), the hospital visits you make to Stephanie and Levi (which gives her moments of encouragement that help the tougher times pass), the donations, gifts, and gas cards that you have given us (which eases so much of our financial strain), the way you take care of our pets while we are gone (which saves us so much money on boarding fees), the iPod Touch that you bought me so Caylee and I could FaceTime with Steph and Levi (which is so important for a tired Daddy and concerned big sister to see Mommy and the little brother while we're apart), the swingset you gave our kids (which enabled me to keep a promise I didn’t think I was going to be able to keep this year), and most importantly, the heartfelt notes and hugs we receive and the prayers that go up daily for our little fighter.

My family is humbled and overwhelmed by your love. We thank God many times a day for you, and hope that someday we’ll be able to repay even a portion of it. This will be a long journey, but we know we can get through it one day at a time with your support and God walking alongside us. I count you all as friends, and pray that God blesses you for your love and generosity.

Love you all,
Michael, Stephanie, Caylee, and little Levi

1 comment:

  1. You bet our little dude is going to beat this. Bless his heart. Hope the 4 of you have a good visit this weekend. Never a day in this household that you all aren't in our thoughts and prayers.

    Love,
    Chris

    ReplyDelete